Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pickled Beets


I've been interested in making pickles lately, and my current obsession is pickled beets. Beets always seem to be the "unpopular kid" of vegetables, always getting made fun of (I'm thinking of The Office here.) The truth is, beets are awesome. They're quite healthy, they have a natural sweetness, and come with the all the fun of pretending you're violently chopping up some sort of body parts with that bright red color (I don't know, handling cooked ones feels like I'm handling some sort of internal organs)

Pickled Beets

some beets (I used three really big ones)
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
about a tablespoon of caraway seeds

Boil washed beets in salted water until soft enough to stick a fork in them easily, about 30-45 minutes. Meanwhile, bring sugar and vinegar to a boil in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Add caraway seeds.
When finished cooking, dip the beets in an ice bath and then work off the skins with your hands, they should slip off easily. Put the beets in a canning jar and fill with enough vinegar mixture to cover the beets. Keep in fridge for about 24 hours before serving any.

Bonus: put peeled hard boiled eggs in the pickling liquid with the beets for red pickled eggs.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I liked the taste of beets. They have a great color and look delicious in everything. Beet crust pizza: http://www.thecookingphotographer.com/2009/07/picking-raspberries-howling-with.html

    How's senior year so far? :D

    ReplyDelete